My own personal stance against religious hypocrisy - both my own, and any others who seek to hurt people in the name of God.


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Something Real From My Life

Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. Psalm 127:1 Revised Standard Version

I don't often write about what's going on in my daily life on this blog. Tried to view things from a "bigger picture". But the verse above came to me just now as I sent out my query for the book I've written, "Swords of Fire: Traitor".

God gives each of us talent. Each of us is free to use it as we will. In Matthew, Chapter Twenty-Five, we read Jesus' parable of the man who gave talents to his servants. He did not disburse the talents equally. Some were given more than others. Those who were given more were able to increase it more. But the servant to did nothing with his talent lost it, and was cast away.

I was given the ability to tell stories. This came from God. The stories I tell are told at my discretion. (The spirits of prophets are subject to the prophets. 1 Corinthians 14:32 Revised Standard Version. This means we choose what we say to others.) I have chosen to devote most of my storytelling to fantasy stories. That many conservative Christians believe fantasy to be of the devil is true. I do not share this belief. It is no more sinful to write about make-believe evils than it is to write about real ones, a.k.a. Holy Scriptures. God gave me a vivid imagination. I have used it all my life, and now it is even larger than ever before. In at least a way, I believe this glorifies God, for the imagination came from him. And I like my stories.

Now I am trying to get my epic series represented by an agent. This is the next step to seeing the book in publication. Not into self-publishing. Not going to say there is anything wrong with self-publishing, but it isn't what I'm after. But it all comes back to God's blessing - or his withholding of it.

I have done my part. I wrote a good story. I edited it. I rewrote it. Edited it again. And again. and again. Wrote a query. Edited it. Submitted it for critique. Edited it. Found an agent to submit to. Edited the query again. Sent it with a prayer to God.

Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. Psalm 127:1 Revised Standard Version

Unless the LORD blesses the query, he who sends it sends it in vain.

No comments: