My own personal stance against religious hypocrisy - both my own, and any others who seek to hurt people in the name of God.


Sunday, July 19, 2009

Life as a Spectacle

I suppose at times I come across as some lousy know-it-all regarding my faith and what I believe. That's why I try to point out my own failings from time to time. To let others know I have "attained" something others have not. The truth is, I struggle as much as anyone. And sometimes it hurts my credibility. Take yesterday, for instance.

I've kept no secret about us having been told we must be out of our house in just over thirty days. This is a direct result of our own personal financial collapse. Not asking for pity. There are hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of others who have, or are going, through the same thing. It's what happens.

Perhaps one thing which does make a difference in my case is that I firmly believe God told me not to sell this house. To remain here until such time as He directs otherwise. Few (if any) people have believed this event in my life was anything more than some kind of emotional (or psychotic) experience, having nothing to do with the real God.

For some it's because they don't want to believe there really is a God. For if there is (and there is) it means they are accountable to a higher power, and they don't like that.

For others they are jealous, for they don't understand what I mean when I say "God told me not to sell this house." They get this idea it was some miraculous moment like Moses on the mountain. It was nothing like that. It was an epiphany. Suddenly, I just knew. I can't explain it any better than that.

Others don't want to believe it's real because they don't want to believe God interacts with us like that anymore. That was for the apostolic times, when the church began. There are no more miracles, or spiritual revelations, or anything like that. For if there are, then they feel they must be somehow inferior for not having experienced it themselves. But that's because they don't understand how and why God interacts with us. I am over fifty years old now, and what I have learned is that God virtually never acts in a manner in which there is no room for doubt.

Why?

Because God most often uses the things and people of this world to communicate and help us. When the Bible tells us that God is arranging our answers to prayer before we even ask it doesn't make the claim lightly. Some things he sets in motion years in advance, so when we pray for it, it's ready. And when that happens many wonder if God was involved at all. But God doesn't operate in a no room for doubt manner. He wants us to believe in him and trust him, so he always does things in a manner which the unbelieving can explain as having nothing to do with God.

By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death; and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was attested as having pleased God. And without faith is is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 11:5-6 Revised Standard Version

There are a variety of reasons why people do not believe what I experienced was real. I can't blame them. They weren't here. I was alone at the time. And I'm not exactly a stalwart of godliness.

But I believe it was real and have acted accordingly since.

Part of that "acting accordingly" has to do with what is going on now. We are down to two weeks before we are suppose to move. While kind of making myself ready to move, I cannot help but think like Shadrach, Meshech, and Abednego. God is well able to deliver us from this situation, and if he means for us to remain in this house then something is going to happen soon to bring that about. If it happens it could be anything from a major miracle to something which was put into motion months or years ago. Or, maybe we will have to leave.

I don't know. God didn't tell me what the consequences of not selling the house would be. He just said, "Don't sell the house." So I didn't.

There is a cost to all of this. As I indicated above, I do not have a lot of credibilty with others as a result of my holding fast to what took place nearly seven years ago. Just yesterday, Spouse laughed at me and felt a need to apologize to our guests when I made mention of it.

But you see, it isn't about my credibility. And if we are evicted it proves less about God than it does about me. You see, I am weak and foolish, and that's as it ought to be.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth, but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the strong. God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Corinthians 1:25-29 Revised Standard Version

No comments: