My own personal stance against religious hypocrisy - both my own, and any others who seek to hurt people in the name of God.


Monday, October 12, 2009

It Turns Out God Made Them After All

There are many divisive issues confronting us today. They range from race relations to religion to matters of law and even sexuality. For a person who grew up with very precise definitions of sex and sexuality I am a Johnny-come-lately to the discussion. There was a time I held a stance and was quite dogmatic about it. I wasn't willing to hear anything which didn't agree with what I had already decided.

But my decision was not based on my own knowledge, experience, or investigation.

The question of gay rights has been around for several decades now, and it seems to be heating up. Not seems to be. It is heating up. There was a march of some kind in Washington yesterday or today in which gay activists and supporters of gay rights are calling out a reminder to President Obama that he promised to bring positive resolution in at least some areas.

I am not a model Christian, and for many that immediately excludes my opinion from counting for anything. For others, the fact that I now stand against them on certain points is the reason to no longer listen to anything I have to say. But I am a Christian. I believe Jesus Christ is God himself, known to us as The Son of God (which is a confusing term to us in this society - but probably not to those in an older society which no longer exists). I believe he died on the cross in order that God could forgive us our sins and accept us back to himself. I believe he rose from the dead and ascended to heaven, where he poured his blood on the alter as payment.

Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. Hebrews 9:22 Revised Standard Version

I believe this faith I own makes me a Christian. Not my lifestyle. Lifestyle cannot make anyone a Christian. Only forgiveness.

Now, that being said, I want also to say that I believe the answers to the sex and sexuality questions can be found in the Bible: but only for those who are willing to have faith in it.

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 6:7-12 Revised Standard Version

So, I have been gaining knowledge and experience through my own investigation. Others have done a much better job, and with that thought in mind I would like to direct you to the blog of one Sarah L. Specifically, this post here. In it, Sarah discusses scientific fact about the number of people born as a-typical males and females. In some cases they are both. Even the chromosomes do not distinguish, as the combinations are just too diverse to say certain people are male or female.

So where does that leave us with regard to God?

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27 Revised Standard Version

Do you see it? It's there, although I confess I'm nervous about interpreting it. God created man - as male and female.

How does that relate to the questions of gay rights which confront us today? I must confess I am not sure. But I do believe we must be careful. The Bible is not just one verse, and God's will and purpose is found in the entire Bible. What is the constant message?

Today, while searching for answers in scripture about hermaphrodites, I came across someone else's scripture reference. I will surround the verse they referenced so that it shows more in context. But I find it most interesting.

Now before faith came, we were confined under the law, kept under restraint until faith should be revealed. So that the law was our custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian; for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, though faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise. Galatians 3:23-29 Revised Standard Version

Again, I hesitate to make an explicit interpretation of this reference, but it does raise a question in my mind. Why are we concerning ourselves so much over this question?

That people are born without being solely male or solely female is a documented fact, and has been for hundreds of years. According to the information Sarah L found, it isn't nearly so rare an occurrance as some wish to believe. Do you realize that there are more people in the United States alone with this condition than live in Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, and Vermont - COMBINED?

But even if it WAS only one person. Did not God make that person? Everyone who is born is born according to God's will. People cannot exist unless God creates them. Only God can create a spirit.

So did God make more than three million mistakes in the United States? I don't think so. God doesn't make mistakes. These people were created according to God's will. So did God create people just to hate them? No. God loves these people. They were created exactly according to his plan. Why do we feel this insane need to oppress them?

I think we in the Christian Community are in great danger of becoming the servant who lost the grace given to him by the king.

Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imporing him, 'Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servatns who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, 'Have patience wit hme, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed ,and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you; if you do not forgive you brother from your heart. Matthew 18:23-35 Revised Standard Version

People, we need to be careful with how we view other people.

No comments: