My own personal stance against religious hypocrisy - both my own, and any others who seek to hurt people in the name of God.


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wolf or Prophet

I was having a discussion with someone recently about my concern over how everyone is so filled with hatred, intolerance, and general animosity, that it's quite depressing to see. The topic of cults had come up and he had related that in his studies he had learned there were a frightening amount of cults just in the United States.

Eventually, I asked the question: But if we're nothing but vicious to these people, how are ever supposed to be encouraged to seek the real God?

He agreed in principal, but then he added this: There are people who simply wish to disrupt the people of God. They know what they are doing and they do it anyway. They are the wolves which rise up from among us.

The current 'official' (so-called) Christian thinking is this: Be intolerant. Put down the opposition. Win at all costs.

I disagree with that position. I speak out. I'm getting louder.

Am I a wolf?

I fear it. I really do. However, I cannot escape my conviction that intolerance and mean-spiritedness is simply WRONG!

Jesus was never intolerant. He was never mean. What he offered everyone, even the Pharisees and others of like mind, was acceptance. I think that is what the Bride of Christ needs to do again. We need to forget about our rights and what the law is and all that crap. We need to get back to Jesus, for it seems to me we have strayed away and are now doing everything by and for ourselves.

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:1-5 Revised Standard Version

Then he said to them, "These are my words which I spoke to you, while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and the psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be preached in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem." Luke 24:44-47 Revised Standard Version

And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe wil lbe condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe in my name; they wil lcast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover. Mark 16:15-18 Revised Standard Version

What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, will he not also give us all things with him? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies; who is to condemn? Is it Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us? Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, "For thy sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:311-39 Revised Standard Version

No comments: